Mobile Number Portability is also known as MNP is a service that enables mobile phone users to switch from one telecom operator to another while retaining their mobile number. Yes, you can switch telecom service providers without changing your mobile number.
In case if you are crossing the state across the same country then it also works. There is a number of telecom operators in India such as Jio, Vodafone, Idea, BSNL, and Airtel.
All network providers allow you to port a phone number as simple as possible. You only need to send a text message like PORT from your mobile number to 1900. You will receive a new message with Unique Porting Code (UPC) from an existing network provider. To complete the porting process you need to share this code to a new network provider.
After the porting request placed successfully, you might want to know the status of porting status. MNP status helps you to understand when the network will be enabled to you. It might take around 3-4 days to process your mobile number portability request.
Procedure to Check MNP Status :-
- Go to the official MNP Status website from your smartphone or pc.
- It will ask you to enter some information such as UPC code, mobile number and captcha code for verification.
- After you enter all required details click on the check mobile number portability status button.
- That’s it, next screen you will see the current status of your mobile number portability.
- The official MNP status website supports different network service providers such as BSNL, Jio, Airtel, Idea, Vodafone, Uninor, and Aircel. Also, keep in mind that some network service providers will charge some fees.